10.29.2006

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle 1991 Honor Book ****


The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is about a 13 year old girl living in 1837 who must return to her family who are not living in America. Having stayed behind in England to finish her semester she discovers she must make the trip as the only passenger. Between a mad captain and a revengeful crew she must figure out what it takes to stay alive and see her family again.

I really enjoyed this book, it should be a movie. I was able to get through the story quickly and even find myself looking for moments that I could steal away to read this book. This story starts out to be seemingly obvious but has wonderful surprising twists and turns. I really appreciated the author's appendix at the end of the book and his suggestion at the beginning to refer to throughout the novel. Masts, rigging, bowspirit and other such words are unfamiliar to me and his appendix helped me picture where she was and what she was doing. I admire Charlotte's spunk and surviving such a horrible situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment