7.08.2007

The Black Pearl 1968 Honor Book ***


The Black Pearl tells the story of a young boy whose father owns a fleet of ships to find pearls in the ocean. When Ramon finds a rare and expensive black pearl, his father decides to donate it to the Catholic church in town. When tragedy soon strikes, some begin to wonder if the pearl is possibly cursed, and Ramon decides to break the curse himself.

This book is very short, but for some reason I really had a hard time getting through it. I easily was confused even though the writing style is simple and easily understood. My husband who rarely reads fiction, read it in just a couple of hours, whereas I took many nights to finish it. Even though the summary tells us that Ramon finds the Black Pearl, it doesn't happen until the book is half way finished. I found myself getting ancy thinking, "When does he find the pearl?" For being such a critical event to the whole story, I thought it should have happened sooner. I think young boys would enjoy this book because of the adventure and suspense. Probably 4th or 5th grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment